06 July 2007

Is this where I get a script for beer filled?

This city just keeps on getting better.

Poor Kyan caught a cold so he's feeling a bit miserable at the moment. Being the great father that I am, I stopped by the pharmacy on the way home to get something that might make him feel a bit happier.

Then I made the discovery that has changed my life: you can buy beer at the pharmacy! The pharmacies over here are not so much a place where you get a script filled as a place where you can just about buy anything. The whole medicine thing is just a side business they're in to keep the customers coming through the front door. The one I went to tonight had two levels - the main floor where all the general merchandise is sold, and then you go down to the basement level to buy the medicines. Very much an afterthought.

I guess the best way to describe it is as a mini-Target store. By the way, even Targets have a chemist in them, so the distinction's not as clear as you'd think.

Unfortunately, in the ultimate twist of irony, they also sell cigarettes. Are these people trying to help the community or kill it? Maybe this is the definition of supply-induced demand.

At the end of the day, I didn't actually buy any beer. Just seeing a sign advertising that they sold beer was enough to keep me excited for today. Maybe I'll go in another time and actually buy some.

And yes, even with all that excitement, I still remembered to get something for Kyan's cold...

4 comments:

Sara Pearcy said...

ha ha ha.... do they also sell hard drugs next to the clinic vouchers??

Proud of you for remembering your initial goal. Hope Kyan is better quickly.

Anonymous said...

Haven't you heard that a shot or two of rum is meant to fix a flu. A glass a day of red is also meant to be good for you. The list goes on.
The drinking is what keeps me fit and active. Haha
Dave

Anonymous said...

Beer in a pharmacy,sounds reasonable. How about bread in a hairdressers shop. There is a suburb of Butterworth Malaysia named Telok Molek, where you can buy freshly baked bread at the ladies hairdressers. I know a lady who has seen it.

Larabelle said...

Homer recounts how he came to invent the 'Flaming Homer' drink:

Homer: "I decided to mix the little bits that were left in every liquor bottle.
In my haste, I had grabbed a bottle of the kid's cough syrup.
[mixes them in the blender, pours a glass, gulps it down]
[waves his hand in front of his face]
It passed the first test: I didn't go blind."