22 July 2007

Rove in New York City

I headed into Times Square last night to watch Rove Live being taped. His guests were Adam Sandler, Kevin James and Ben Lee (and a few others). It was a fantastic show, and Rove was in totally top form. Unfortunately, Dave Hughes was still in Melbourne, but Pete Hellier came over and was great.

Unfortunately for Alicia, she was in Chicago for the weekend, so I gave my spare ticket to Sarah, a girl I know through work from the Melbourne office. We all had a fantastic time. It was amazing to actually get tickets. Only 49 people were allowed into the audience. Thanks heaps to Shaun and Lesleigh for the heads-up to get tickets.

What was unusual though, was the realisation that I'm slowly (or quickly) becoming American. A number of jokes they did were obviously based on current events in Australia; not so much the events themselves but the commentary and public perception around them. When they did those jokes, I didn't quite get it, and neither did most of the audience, who were comprised of Aussie expats. I guess that when you lose the perspective of current events, the jokes about them become less funny. What was the most interesting about that was that before the show, they obviously anticipated that so in the warm-up, they said "if you don't get the joke and it sounds like it's probably funny, laugh anyway." Interesting words of advice which I can take into my life beyond TV celebrity.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not a bad effort to get tickets to Rove. It appears that NY is a preferred destination than Brisbane for Rove. Gees, when I moved from Townsville to Brisbane I thought Brisbane had everything. How wrong was I.

Anonymous said...

We watched the show and saw you a few times. Pleased to hear that you enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

Totally understand your ideas on topicallity(?). In 1968 I came back to Oz after working with Americans for a year.I went to a show at St Georges Leagues Club, Sydney. The American comedian was a scream in my view but no-one else in the audience seemed to understand his jokes.In fact on several occasions people in front of me looked back at me to see what it was I was laughing about.For a whole year I had ben involved in the American psyche, but they hadn't.
Don't lose your Okker humour!
Ded

Larabelle said...

Comedian: I finally got around to reading the dictionary. Turns out the zebra did it. [crowd laughs]
Homer: I don't get.
Lisa: Dad, the zebra didn't do it, it's just a word at the end of the dictionary!
Homer: I still don't get it.
Lisa: It's just a joke.
Homer: Oh, I get it! I get jokes! [laughs]

Sara Pearcy said...

Ha, you've been blogging and I didn't notice!

I watched Rove that night. Didn't realise you were in the audience and actually made a joke to John about you probably being there. I'm obviously not as funny as I think!! You WERE there.

Don't worry, Rove wasn't particularly funny that night. I hadn't realised how much of his comedy is based on vaguely bagging the everyday person ~ and often not in a witty way. He was funnier before TV.

I have to ask, what happened with Adam Hills & Jeanine Garafalo? That was all a bit cosy and odd. Maybe I'm just jealous. ;)

xx S.

Anonymous said...

Would you believe that a day or so ago, two people of similar genetic background to yourself were watching "We Rove NY" in Queenstown,NZ,and saw you in the audience.
It is incredible the lengths some people will go to, to see you on TV!
Did